Monday, June 25, 2012

Multitasking and Burnt Grilled Cheese

My mother told me, just 2 days ago, that multitasking doesn't mean you're accomplishing two tasks at once, it means you aren't giving your full attention to either task.  So, there I was burning my grilled cheese sandwich as I checked my e-mail for maternity clothing donations and contacted the venue I want for the swap... OOPS!  I was so excited to have my hands free for a moment that I forgot I was making lunch and burned my grilled cheese on Nuts and Grains by Dave's Killer Bread.  This is a tragedy if you're a mom with limited time for making and eating lunch, and for those who know how amazingly delicious this bread is.  I buy mine at Fred Meyer's because it's convenient, but a mommy friend of mine said she went straight to the source and got way more bang for her buck.  She got five loaves of the 21 Whole Grains, five bags of Blues Buns, and two bags of Good Seed HalOs for $20.00.  That's a steal!  


Swap News:  So far, I've contacted the venue that I'd like to host the swap at.  It's my number one choice and I think the date I want to do the swap is available.  We'll see how much they want to charge and if I can book with them.  My hope is to get a space with as small a fee as possible so that I can keep the cost of clothing very low.  The lower my overhead is, the more I can help get clothing to women who need it.  
I've also published a post on Craigslist asking for donations of maternity clothing for the swap.  I've also posted an event on Facebook and invited several friends who have either had babies recently or know other recent moms who may have clothes they can donate.  I'm not getting the best response and I think I know why.  
When we spend so much money on our maternity clothes, we don't want to just give them up.  I held onto mine after having our first child even though I wasn't sure if we would have another baby.  I didn't want to lose the investment I'd made in that clothing.  This time, I'm pretty sure we're done creating beautiful babies (for at least 4 years... at least) and I'm ready to share what I have with those who need it.  I've already passed on most of my baby-bump clothing to a friend who is due in November and is starting to need comfortable clothing to accommodate her growing baby girl.  The rest of it I either still wear because it's cute and comfy, or will be donating to the swap.  
So... I understand not wanting to give up clothing for "nothing."  When there's nothing given to you in return, it might be hard to donate something so expensive.  Is there some kid of incentive I can offer?   Here's what I currently have to offer: I will do my best to show you how your donations impact and help other women through my words and through pictures of this upcoming event.  Is a little warmth in your heart enough to inspire you to donate? If so, contact me here on the blog, through the Facebook event, or through the e-mail link on the craigslist post.







Resources:  Dave's Killer Bread   5209 Southeast International Way  Milwaukie, OR 97222 (503) 335-8077






No comments:

Post a Comment