Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day One - Getting Down to Business


With my seven-week-old daughter on my lap, fast asleep thankfully, I'm starting a new adventure.  I've thought about blogging before but never had a purpose or mission behind it.  During my last pregnancy, the one that created and grew this beautiful baby on my lap, I found passion in pregnancy, birth, babies, and helping pregnant women find resources that can help create positive birth experiences and smooth transitions into motherhood.  This will be the purpose behind my blog.

I'm no expert, I have no formal training, but I love research and I love sharing my knowledge of all things mommy with the women in my life, which often includes women I've just met for the first time... 

Basically, I could talk about women, babies, and boobies all day long.  Pregnancy, including the "fourth trimester" (the transition time after birth spent acclimating to life as a mom), is a thrilling time and I love learning about it, talking about it, and sharing what I learn.  The goal of this blog will be to share the things I learned during my pregnancies, share my stories and experiences, and to research new things along the way that may be helpful to other moms.  I'm open to all topic suggestions, even if it's not something I support.  I'd love to open up conversations about all things baby. Why not explore all of the beautiful, cool, weird, fun, interesting, and sometimes gross and icky things that happen when we're becoming moms?

My first goal: Set up a maternity clothing sale/swap
Timeline: about 2 months   by September 1st
I want to plan and execute a successful sale or swap that allows pregnant women to get new/gently-used maternity clothing with the change in their pockets.  We can spend hundreds of dollars to replace our entire wardrobes while pregnant; that's hundreds of dollars on clothes we only wear for a few months.  It can be expensive to dress well while pregnant, and I want to make it more affordable for the women in my community.  

Spread the Word, clothing collection starts today!  craigslist link for clothing collection
I will be collecting maternity clothes between now and August 24th.  I'll announce a September date for the clothing swap in the month of July once I know the scale of clothing supply and demand.


Planning resources: these sites have articles on planning and attending clothing swaps

Here I go, I'm getting down to business.  By September 1st, all interested moms-to-be should be able to attend a newly-organized, hopefully ongoing, mama-friendly clothing swap or sale of maternity clothes in the Portland, OR metro area.   
Is this a lot to take on as a mother of two?  I won't know if I don't try...

Cheers!  -Taryn, your Mommy DuJour

1 comment:

  1. Taryn I think this will be so fun and exciting for you. I congratulate you for taking the effort to start something new and challenging :) I will keep my eyes open for new blogs because I am definitely interesting in following :)

    ReplyDelete